Rainbows on Sunday (29th March 2020)


These are some thoughts which I hope are appropriate to Sunday 29th March -  the fifth Sunday in Lent – Passion Sunday. We reminded of the passionate love of Jesus for each of us. That passion led him through the cross to the resurrection. 
I have been thinking about Genesis chapter 9, verses 7 to 17 -  the words of God to Noah, following the flood which had devastated the world:

This week, when we have been mainly confined to our homes, many people have used their windows to communicate with the outside world. On Sunday, in response to a call to prayer, lighted candles appeared as darkness fell.
During the week lots of houses started having rainbows in their windows. I’m sure it was a good way to occupy children whilst they are indoors.

As the Metro newspaper explained:
"Quite simply, people have been putting the colourful pictures on their windows to cheer up passers-by. The rainbows aim to make people smile while they’re walking by, and also offer a message of hope. Rainbows are used as a symbol of peace and hope…. They serve to remind us that there is hope and light to follow even after dark times. The current trend appears to have started in Italy but has also been adopted by the US, Canada and Spain, where people have adorned their windows and balconies with colourful pictures."

Rainbows are indeed symbols of hope – the promise of sunshine after the rain.
For Christians and others the rainbow has a deeper, spiritual meaning. I remember my children coming home from Sunday school singing “whenever you see a rainbow, remember God is love”.
In ancient times God sent a flood which cleansed the world of sin and corruption. Noah, a righteous man, his family and other animals had been saved so that from them the world could begin again.
As Noah and his sons emerged from the Ark in which they had been kept safe, God made promises to them. God has decided that that destroying things was no longer going to be the way he would deal with wickedness. Grace would be the way from now on. God promises that he will never again destroy the world with a flood. He tells Noah that the rainbow would be the sign of this gracious promise. God says that whenever the rainbow appears he will remember his promise to humanity. Of course God does not need to be reminded of things, so it was really Noah and us as his descendants who would remember God’s love whenever we see the rainbow. And so, our hearts are lifted in joy whenever an outburst of rain is followed by a rainbow. Some of us still hope to find a pot of gold at the end of one – but that’s not a promise from the Bible!
Some people may have been wondering whether the Corona virus is some sort of punishment from God. God promised Noah that he would not flood the earth but he didn’t say anything about destroying the earth with a plague or famine.

God doesn’t play with words when he makes a promise to us. That promise never to destroy the earth by flood means that God does not want to destroy us at all, by any means. Things like viruses exist and affect our lives – but they are not sent by God. Rather than sending things to harm us God sends grace to help us – especially the gift of his Son Jesus.

God’s way of dealing with wickedness and corruption is through graciously loving us and taking away our sin. Thousands of years after the rainbow promise was made, God sent his only Son Jesus to die for our sins. We don’t know if there was a rainbow over the cross when Jesus died but we do know there was an outburst of new life and light when he rose again.

Jesus is with us today – he wants to give us hope and life. Jesus said “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life”. That promise is for you, whatever your situation may be today. You might be fearful of the Corona virus, suffering with it at present, recovering from it – even grieving someone who has died as a result of it.

Take comfort from these words
When I fear my faith will fail Christ will hold me fast;
I am precious in his sight, He will hold me fast;
Those he saves are his delight He will hold me fast:
 He'll not let my soul be lost, Christ will hold me fast;
Bought by him at such a cost, He will hold me fast.

Whenever you see a rainbow – in a neighbour’s window or the sky – please remember that God is love. He has a passion for you. Jesus the light of the world has overcome the darkness and he will lead us all through this dark time.
The words of another hymn remind us of God’s presence whatever the circumstances:
2        Sun of our life, thy quickening ray
          sheds on our path the glow of day;
          Star of our hope, thy softened light
          cheers the long watches of the night.

3        Our midnight is thy smile withdrawn,
          our noontide is thy gracious dawn,
          our rainbow arch thy mercy's sign;
          all, save the clouds of sin, are thine.

5        Grant us thy truth to make us free
          and kindling hearts that burn for thee,
          till all thy living altars claim
          one holy light, one heavenly flame.

Jesus says – I am the Light of the World

Some words of hope from Stuart Townend and Mark Edwards:

1. There is a hope that burns within my heart,
that gives me strength for ev'ry passing day;
a glimpse of glory now revealed in meagre part,
yet drives all doubt away:
I stand in Christ, with sins forgiv'n;
and Christ in me, the hope of heav'n!
My highest calling and my deepest joy,
to make his will my home.

There is a hope that lifts my weary head,
a consolation strong against despair,
that when the world has plunged me
in its depest pit,
I find the Saviour there!
Through present suff'rings, future's fear,
he whispers 'courage' in my ear.
For I am safe in everlasting arms,
and they will lead me home.




Comments

Popular Posts