Fix our eyes on Jesus

Apologies for the lack of blogging activity for most of June!

I did have some reflections  on some great films that I watched, but didn't manage to get them clear enough to share. However, I would recommend these:

Rio Bravo (1959) - a classic Western starring John Wayne, Dean Martin and Walter Brennan, with great music. To me it shows what a crazy and contrasting group of people can do if they work together - a bit like Church?

High Plains Drifter (1972) - another Western, this time with Clint Eastwood. A mysterious stranger brings both deliverance and punishment to a small town which allowed all sorts of injustice, including the murder of  Marshall Jim Duncan. Whilst the powerful are brought low, a small person,
Moredcai (Billy Curtis) is given power - as in Mary's song, the Magnificat.

True Romance (1993) - as the film was written by Quentin Tarantino, you know what to expect! A great story which definitely gives you what it says in the title. Without giving away the ending, it is incredible that this relationship survives the stupidity of the couple and the violence which surrounds them. If you have stopped believing in love, this should change your mind - but this path to romantic bliss wouldn't work for everyone!

Carlito's Way (2006) - it asks the question "can a person truly change their life around and escape their past"? The film seems to cast doubt on that, but my answer as a Christian is that with God's grace anything is possible

Call of the Wild (2020) - the latest film version of the Jack London story. The CGI animation of  Buck the dog takes a bit of getting used to but the film as a whole works and Harrison Ford does a great job of  portraying the relationship of human being and a dog.

However, the thing which finally drove me to write this blog was a song rather than a film.  The song is "Fix our eyes" by Anabeth Morgan. Driving home at lunchtime today, it came on UCB 2 (United Christian Broadcasting) and want straight to my heart. The music is beautiful and the words are so appropriate to today. When looked it up, I was amazed to learn that the song was written over two years ago. God must have spoken to Anabeth in the way that he spoke to the prophets, enabling her to write words which would be for a future time.

I would encourage you to read the words and then to watch the You Tube Video. I hope it will move you the way that it moved me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45LaxLoP0eI


Storms are raging, darkness stirring
Oh how I need You
Bodies aching, sickness taking
I long to see You
Be the peace and comfort, lift my gaze
To heaven now
I (we) will fix my (our) eyes on You
I (we) will trust You, God
Bend my (our) will to touch Your grace
Come be Lord of this (these) heart(s)
Fears are screaming, hearts believing
Speak now with Your truth
Violence surging, people hurting
We need Your rescue
Be the hope and freedom as we look
To You, Oh God
You're the hope of this world
You're the light that breaks the darkness
You're the peace that calms the waters
Of my soul, of my soul





Comments

  1. I love how you get such lessons from films - we can find ideas and the Holy Spirit inspiring in so many different ways. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts